Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Wherever you are; be there

Yesterday, something weird happened to me.
I went on my back porch.
I don't do that very often mostly because there is always a TV show to watch or a song to listen to or a friend to see. Why would I ever go outside?

and then yesterday, in the midst of jet-lag and bad sleep habits and iron deficiency catching up to me all at once, all I wanted to do was sit outside.
so I did.
and what did I learn? Oregon sun is just as warm as Palestine's, and it smells nice out there.

Today, after watching Inside Out, my mom and I decided to walk home instead of riding in the car with Ken.
It was strange, making a decision like this. When the easier thing to do was to hop in the Saturn and be home really fast.
But it was so nice out, and Oregon was calling me to be present.
And I've learned recently that it's really hard to be present because I spend a lot of my life in countdown mode.

sixteen week segments of life separated by short-term adventures and retreats into nature
I have thirty-two weeks of college separating me from the rest of my life.
And only twenty-four weeks of classes, tests, and monotony separating me from going back to Palestine.

One week ago I started saying goodbye.
You see, countdowns are a two-way street.

It seems to me that I am constantly conscious of the passing of time, how I am drifting farther and farther from key moments, and how I am drifting closer and closer to tomorrow.

Rarely am I rooted in the present.
And for now, all I want to be is here. And, if we're being honest, there and there. But there is time to be there, especially if I am here. and now I feel like the caterpillar in Alice in Wonderland, without the nargilla.

No comments:

Post a Comment